Saturday, July 17, 2010

thank you, derek.

For being so real and honest and not being afraid to speak the truth.  I am so thankful we have a God who is so countercultural and has redeemed all things by laying down His life for us.

"What is Not Love" - Derek Webb

what looks like failure is success 
and what looks like poverty is riches 
when what is true looks more like a knife 
it looks like you’re killing me 
but you’re saving my life 

chorus 
but i give myself to what looks like love 
and i sell myself for what feels like love 
and i pay to get what is not love 
and all just because i see things upside down 

what looks like weakness can do anything 
and what looks like foolishness is understanding 
when what is powerful has not come to fight 
it looks like you’re going to war 
but you lay down your life 

chorus 
what looks like torture is a time to rejoice 
what sounds like thunder is a comforting voice 
when what is beautiful looks broken and crushed 
and i say i don’t know you 
but you say it’s finished 
when what is beautiful looks broken and crushed 
and i say i don’t know you 
but you say it’s finished"

“This is my endlessly recurrent temptation: to go down to that Sea (I think St. John of the Cross called God a sea) and there neither dive nor swim nor float, but only dabble and splash, careful not to get out of my depth and holding on to the lifeline which connects me with my things temporal.” - C.S. Lewis


"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God." - 1 Corinthians 1:26-29


"For to me to lives is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21

No comments:

Post a Comment