Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Highlights

Ok, now I'll do your typical year end review& top 10 list.  Its amazing to think that a year ago I probably would not have given Wake Forest a second thought.  I guess it was on my radar at this point... my CM had mentioned it to me.  But, I had done little research.  I knew it was in North Carolina and that one of the former interns was Dave Barnes's brother, but that's about it.  Leave it to me to be concerned with location and people connections.  I knew nothing about its academic strengths, size of school, or sports history.  But, Wake Forest is now engrained in me and I love it, dearly.  I am thankful this is where the Lord chose for me to be this year.  I won't say it hasn't been challenging, it certainly has, but nonetheless priceless.  Here are some of my favorite memories thus far.

1.  Fall Conference - seeing students out of their studious element was wonderful.  I think it was a turning point in the semester, getting to know new people and getting to know others better.

2.  New York City trip - that's all I've got to say.  I love this city and can not wait to go back for our spring break mission trip.  I also loved spending time with Louisa and her family.  There were so many blessings about this trip, I can't really narrow it down.  I haven't shared pictures yet, so I'll do that now.

3.  NEEDTOBREATHE concert at the verrry beginning of the semester.  It was a great intro to Wake.  I was thankful to get to know some people better.... and uber thankful to meet Seth Bolt and Bear Rinehart!


4.  Getting to know these boys.  Its been wonderful albeit challenging... I get to work with two of the most ADD people I've ever met, but it's been a blast.  I've learned a lot from Tease.  Its been wonderful to sit under his teaching and counseling.  (And, this is quite possibly the most unflattering/awkward picture of all of us, but I just found it and thought it was hilarious... and it brings up another memory... Preschool!)

5.  Bowlin' for Soulin'/these freshman girls... I think this list might be a little out of order, because freshman girls should be #1... but, they have been such a blessing to get to know!  Truly, the Lord has gifted our little staff with freshmen eager to get involved in RUF and eager to learn more of the riches of the Gospel.  I look forward to watching them grow in Him.  Oh and, bowlin' for soulin' has been such a blast.  (Which is where this photo was taken hince the combo).  I have increased my score to 100!


6.  Chattanooga Intern hang out/training!  Honestly, one of the best aspects of the internship is getting to know other interns.

7.  Auburn trip!  Ok, maybe this has nothing to do with Wake RUF, but Auburn football has definitely shaped this semester.  And, it was a really great encouragement to return to old RUF friends at Auburn.  And meet up with a few current interns at the same time.  Plus, I got to take one of my students with me and show her where I come from.  She was quite amazed at the difference in Wake and Auburn.

8.  Snow at Wake!  It was truly one of my favorite days at Wake Forest.  Filled with SNOW, friends, and the same day Auburn killed USC in the SEC championship!  One of the days you wish wouldn't end.

9.  My parents' visit.  Again, this feels out of order... should've mentioned earlier.  But, it was a great treat to have them see my new world, drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and visit Mt. Airy.  It was soo good to see my parents.

10.  And all the minute stuff... sitting on Mag Patio, eating in the Pit, watching Glee, walking and coffee dates... I am blessed to have the job I have.  I am so grateful I get to share with others the love of Jesus Christ.
(Just a few more picture highlights from the year)








Ok, one more thing, and I'll be done.  Everything I just said is true, all of those moments were really great and awesome and I'm blessed and thankful for God's goodness.  But, all of that leaves out the hard stuff.  It leaves out the loneliness, and homesickness, the fear of not making any kind of impact, the conflicts, and just plain life isn't fun right now.  Those days were there for sure.  But, as hard as it is to say and believe, I'm thankful for those moments too.  Because like I posted this morning,
"These inward trials I employ, from self and pride to set thee free, and break thy schemes of 
earthly joy, that thou mayest seek thy all in me".  In all of this, I want to know Him more 
and to be broken of my self.  That is what He is doing. I am thankful to look back on the 
things  He has so generously given though, to recognize my that He is working and He is 
aware of my situation.  As He is with yours.  Praise God that He has given purpose to the 
chaos and confusion.  He has given meaning to the good times and to the bad.  Praise God
that He sent His Son for us.  Merry Christmas!!

"And Mary said:

   “My soul glorifies the Lord

 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
 for he has been mindful
   of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
 for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
   holy is his name.
 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
   from generation to generation.
 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
   he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
   but has lifted up the humble.
 He has filled the hungry with good things
   but has sent the rich away empty.
 He has helped his servant Israel,
   remembering to be merciful
 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
   just as he promised our ancestors.” - Luke 1:46-55

No comments:

Post a Comment