Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's ahead?


New York City.  

YAY!

"We believe that nothing promotes the peace and health of the city like the spread of faith in the gospel. It renews both individual lives and reweaves the fabric of whole neighborhoods. We believe that nothing moves Christians to humbly serve, live with, and love all the diverse people of the city like the gospel does." - Redeemer Vision

We will be leaving Saturday to go to NYC.  We have a group of 17 going.  

What's on the agenda, you ask?

- Redeemer Presbyterian - hearing Tim Keller speak
- RUF at NYU
- Graffiti Church - working with low income children in backyard bible schools in the East Village
- Hearing from NewSong Church in Harlem
- Hearing from leaders in Redeemer - hearing their vision for the city
- Having fun in this amazing, amazing city!!!

The Lord has been so gracious ot allow me to go on this trip.  It's neat to see how He has put it together.  My prayer is that students would be impacted by the need of the Gospel in the city and the power of the Gospel in the city.  These students will be in the midst of this environment very soon once they graduate, and I want them to see the urgency of God's Kingdom in the city.  I've had a passion and heart for this city for a long time and I look forward to learning more about the ministry there next week.

We leave Saturday morning and return next Thursday... though I am going to stay a couple of extra days to hang out with some students who will be in New York for an art trip.  Pray for safety too!

I can't wait to share with ya'll how things go.



Also... I'm so excited to be able to attend the Gospel Coalition Conference in Chicago in April!  I just wish that I could retain all of the amazing teaching that I am receiving and will be receiving in the next month or so.  

I get to hear from Tim Keller, Matt Chandler, Michael Horton, John Piper, Bryan Chapell, and music from Kevin Twit and Sandra McCracken... just to name a few.  I'm so pumped!  

In the meantime... Kevin is continuing to preach through the gospel of Mark.  It has been really powerful in breaking and shaping students and myself!!  Last night he spoke from Mark 10 about the Rich Young Ruler.  What is he asking us to surrender in order for Him to truly be Lord of our lives?  What is controlling your joy, contentment, and security?  Christ or something else?  

My prayer is that I will lay those things at His feet that control me.  That I will be fully content in who He is.  I should be because this is true...

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—  to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding,  he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ." - Ephesians 1:3-10



Also... we had our 4th meeting for Global Missions Fellowship.  We heard from a student who grew up in Thailand and Guatemala for the majority of her life.  She was especially impacted by the orphanages in Thailand.  Its so amazing to hear about God's work throughout the nations.  I am SO excited to be able to spend time with this group of people who have a deep conviction for the global and persecuted church.  We have spent time in prayer for Christians who are facing much danger because of their faith in the Middle East during this turmultuous time.  Please keep them in your prayers.



And, finally, I am continuing to lead Kappa and Chi O girls in a study through Prodigal God.  I am praying and hoping that this story and the Gospel is tearing down barriers between "elder brothers" and "younger brothers" that can so often formulate in the sorority setting.

As I type out the amazing gifts that God has blessed me with, it's hard for me to admit that I still struggle so much with contentment.  That's why all of this teaching is soooo much for me as well as for the students.  I'm daily struggling with contentment and finding security and identity in Christ alone.  

Thanks for you support and prayers!

1 comment: