Saturday, July 2, 2011

He is good, and doeth good [in China], good only, and continually.

As I reel from jet lag, or maybe just processing the million thoughts running through my head now, I will stay up to finally blog about my time in China while I finally sip on a cold Sam Adams for the first time in a month.  It almost seems like a dream.  Did I really just spend the last month on the other side of the world making somewhere around 50 new amazing friends -- some American, some Chinese, one New Zealander, some Swedes, some 60 years old, some 5 years old, and I could go on.  What prevails in my mind the most is God's providential care for His children.  He knows us so much better than we know ourselves.  He created us.  He knows the things we need and the things we truly desire.  A common theme verse during my time at Auburn was "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1:6.  We looked at and memorized this verse during our time in China.  My Mom would always tell me, Kate, God is doing the work, He is completing it... not you.  And, I think this month was so pivotal in working on that completion of good work in me.



China so quickly came and went.  The first week I was there actually kind of sucked.  I questioned why I had come, worried about RUF support raising, and just sad to be away from my friends' weddings.  I couldn't communicate.  I didn't know anyone on my team.  And, I was supposed to be somewhat of a leader, yet I couldn't even hold it together.  But, quickly the Lord opened my eyes to the reality of my situation.  Kate, you're not the only one who feels alone and like a foreigner in a strange land.  Its amazing how hearing other believers' stories can be so encouraging.  "He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength." (from Isaiah 40).  His words are true.  He gives strength when we think we have none.  All the sudden, my perspective changed... God answered prayers... I fell deeply in love with China, with my team, and with the new friends I made, and mostly, just Him.


We took classes three mornings a week.  My southern accent wasn't so adapt to the Chinese tones.  It was terribly difficult, but even the language intrigues me and I find the Chinese characters beautiful and fascinating.  We met students.  I wish I could tell you the story of every one I met, but that might get kind of boring.  However, it was really neat to see God's providence in the relationships we made.  I wished that I could stay for so much longer and make friends with everyone on that campus.  However, he provided a select few for me to pour into in that brief month.  Their English names were Tiffany, Judy, Wendy, Ada, Sunshine, Chelsea, and Sammy.  Please pray for Judy, Wendy, and Ada.  I'm positive the Lord is working in their lives and they have either come to faith are on the verge.  It was the most refreshing thing to sit and the read the Word to them for the first time.  I told them the stories of Jesus's time here on earth.  They sat in anticipation wanting to know what would come next.  It was refreshing to hear them make such simple observations... "Your God is so good, He is so kind."  They were amazed at that.  When I shared the gospel with Ada for the first time, she looked at me and said, "Thank you."  I told her not to thank me... that it was by God's grace that we are saved, that we should thank Him for salvation.  She said, "But, thank you for telling me."  That impacted me so much.  That's all I have to do for someone's life to be turned upside down in a beautiful way... tell them.  Tell them about Jesus, about the gospel.


I learned so much from the Chinese Christians.  They take Jesus at His word.  He says to trust Him, that He has perfect plans for us and that He can not fail.  The Christians I met believed it as though there was no other option or thought.  They looked at me, like, why would I ever worry?  That's a crazy thing.  Jesus says He in control.  Oh, me of little faith and my brothers and sisters who have such great faith.  They encouraged me so much.


I could go on and on.  However, I think I will stop here for now.  My mind is reeling.  I miss China, so much.  I miss my team.  They became such good friends to me.  I miss Judy and Tiffany and Ada.   In the song, "Ten Thousand Time Ten Thousand", Henry Allford writes, "On Canaan's happy shore; What knitting severed friendships up where partings are no more!  Then eyes with joy shall sparkle."  I look forward to that; to be united with all believers and never having to say good bye.  That will be good.  What will be even greater is to be with our Maker.  The one who knit us together in our mothers' wombs and numbered our days.  That is why I want to go throughout the world, to tell them about Him. Today, God has given me an affluent college campus in the US to do that and for that I'm thankful.


We bought books for our Chinese friends at the only legalized Christian bookstore in our city.  I bought Streams in the Desert for one of the girls, and I decided to read the last few devotionals to see what she has been reading.  These words provide great wisdom for me right now... from the great missionary, Hudson Taylor, "The Lord is my Shepherd; is on Sunday, is on Monday, and is through every day of the week; is in January, is in December, and every month of the year/  Is at home, and is in China; is in peace, and is in war; in abundance, and in penury!... All God's dealings are full of blessing: He is good, and doeth good, good only, and continually.  The believer who has taken the Lord as his shepherd can assuredly say in the words of the psalmist: 'Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.'"

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could hear every single story. I would sit and laugh, cry, and hang on every word. China has my heart. So thankful you have returned safely. Praying for your dear friends and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Kate. I am so thankful that our Great God is doing so much in you and for you and i am so blessed by reading this blog!

    ReplyDelete