Tuesday, August 23, 2011

So, what's going on with RUF at Wake Forest?

Enough with my ramblings.  A new year is about to begin!

I am SO excited that things are starting back up and that students are showing up.

This week we have Preschool.  Wake has several orientation options for the week before classes start.  Preschool is the religious life orientation.  So, around 80 students will be on campus this week listening to devotionals, learning about the different campus ministries, etc.  It's a great way to meet new freshmen.

Many sophomores are here to be preschool leaders.  Its amazing to see them!  These were "my" freshmen last year.  These are students who entered the Wake Forest world with me, though we were coming from different perspectives.  I love reunions.  Its one of my favorite things... to be reunited with someone you care about that you haven't seen for an extended period of time.  Excuse the cheesiness of this, but I think it reminds me of the love in my life.  Yes, I said it.  You remember how blessed you are by people because you realize how much you really are connected with them and how much you have missed them during your time apart.  So, that's what the last couple of days have been.  Being reunited with RUF freshmen, now sophomores and other new friends I made last year.  I like Winston-Salem and I like Wake Forest, a lot.

I picked up two different freshmen from the airport yesterday.  The girl was from a town of 65, yes, 65, in Colorado.  Most of her friends were going to rodeo school.  And, here she is moving to Winston-Salem, attending a school where people aren't going to the rodeo on the weekends.  Then, I picked up a boy from Boston.  An Arminian boy from a family of 7 who has lived in Boston his whole life.  As we drove into the city to the CO girl, and small town to Boston boy, they had a very appropriate anticipation and nervousness about them.  They had eager faces and such a vulnerability that I love.  I wondered in my head what their next four years will look like.  I wonder what heartbreak they will experience.  I wonder what successes they will enjoy.  I wonder what questions they will ask.  Who will be their friends?  Where will you get plugged in?  I have a bit of jealousy.  I think often of how I would have done things differently if I could go through college again.  But, I guess I wouldn't have done them differently because I wouldn't know what I would want if I had not experienced what I did during my four years at Auburn.  I have mixed feelings of excitement and sorrow for incoming freshmen.  They are about to go on a crazy ride.  I guess all I can say is, brace yourself.  You're about to be changed.  And that's exciting.  That's life.

So, that's where we are at for the beginning of our year at Wake.  I guess I need to brace myself.  Things are about to get busy... Back to School party, first large group, leadership retreat, freshmen Bible study, sorority Bible studies, Global Missions Fellowship, half-marathon group, Fall conference, Parent's brunch, football games and tailgates, new freshmen and one-on-ones.   Phew.  I'm breathing.

And, decisions about next year.  Here we go.

Playing silent football last night with students... most entertaining game, ever.

**On a side note, support.  I have around $8,000 left to raise for the year.  Meaning, I am 75% funded which is wonderful!  If you would like to help with my support, visit http://www.ruf.org/donate.  Any donations are welcome!  No matter the size.  Thanks so much for your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment